Wednesday, May 18, 2011

day 18

Wow I am feeling overwhelmed. After falling in February, I have been going to school, and therapy on top of all the stuff I do as a mother. I had to take the last half of the Quarter off last Quarter because of my fall, and now I am struggling to make up the work. Soo by the first week of June I need to have 3 papers researched and written, on top of taking 8 tests, and my standard reading and homework. Needless to say this is why I have been falling behind on my blog.

May has been a very challenging month all on its own. My car and Chris' car broke down on the same day. Well mine isn't broken down, but the clutch will go any minute now. Due to lack of finances and Chris' car proving to be just as unreliable, I need to try and make the clutch last till payday. Good Luck lol.


So I know all about challenges this month. I have been playing catch up in school enduring therapy twice a week and dealing with general life stressors. Talk about walking a mile in Calebs shoes. This is his life. The 2 months I spent unable to use my right arm/hand was a real eye opener to the struggles my son faces on a daily basis. But the physical is only half of the battle. It seems every year we find something new the stroke has caused. No one ever wants to believe it when I reveal the results of an IQ tests showing cognitive impairments, or a visual tests showing he has no left sided visual field. I understand why family and friends would want to feel that way. I didn't want to believe he had a stroke in the first place. But the fact of the matter is it is true, and the only thing we can do is accept it and try and adjust so that the quality of life stays high for Caleb and other Hemi Kids like him.

If you want to know what type of cognitive impairments are caused by stroke, here is a helpful link Information about Cognitive Impairment due to Stroke

My fellow streakers have been doing an exceptional job raising awareness. This is a video about a fellow streaker named Julie and her beautiful son Evan. I have been following their blog, and I must say they are an inspiration to pediatric stroke advocates. Julie and Evan on Pediatric Stroke.

I am hoping to be able to stay more on top of this blog. If the weather holds up I want to accepts CHASA's challenge this week and make a sidewalk chalk mural about PS awareness. Stay with me this month isn't over yet!

1 comment:

  1. That sounds awesome. The mural. I'd love to see it! Keep up the good work momma! :D

    ReplyDelete